Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Mountain Is Open!

So got my first runs of the season in on opening day yesterday at Abasin.  Opening day was wild.  First off....if my boss reads this, I took CTO for half a day yesterday.  OK, now with that out of the way, it was a blast.  First, we were surprised to see a bunch of new snow on the ground yesterday morning.  During the night this crazy storm blew through with wind like I had never seen.  Needless to say, the morning was freezing but Abasin was allowed to claim 1" of fresh powder on the 18" base they already have.

Kurt and I rode up to the mountain to meet everyone...literally everyone in Summit County was there.  On opening day for $40 bucks you can buy a commemorative mug that will have your name engraved on it and it stays at the mountain all year.  You also get $1 off every beer.  So Kurt bought us all mugs and we enjoyed our first beer in the lodge.  I quick stepped outside to check the lift line (only one lift and one run open but hey its skiing in October).  Here's a snap of the line


After finishing off my  beer, Anne Chris and I hit the line for our first run.  It was not that bad about a 20 - 25 minute wait but got through it and made it to the top.  Picture for ya


Did two runs and went back inside to meet more people and have another celebratory beer.  Y'all I cannot tell you what the scene was like.  It was just perfect.  Everyone dressed in their gear, people having a great time, drinks flowing...it was exactly what I hoped opening day would be like.  Completely lived up to the expectations.  So after another beer went out for a few more runs.  They have a small terrain park built up for the riders.


After a few more runs, I was done for the day and settled into one final beer at the lodge with the boys. It was a great day and looking forward to a great season!



No comments:

Post a Comment