So this was my weekend of giving back. I volunteered Saturday for the Summit County Make a Difference Day and also registered the run the Red Rocks 5K for the American Lung Association. In a reciprocated effort, my good intentions I want to say helped bring the Karma around that had 4-6" of snow!!!
Now the snow storm began Friday afternoon and with my volunteering day ahead, I took it easy. Saturday we awoke to snow everywhere and still coming down. With that being said, Make a Difference Day was still on and I had volunteered to work the trails. A nice outdoor event, I dressed warm and was assigned to build a few bridges on the single track behind Tiger Rd. in Breckenridge. I have to say, while it was a bit cold (not that bad honestly) the scene was amazing with the snow coming down. Here is a pic at the trailhead and then the bridge we built. I know it doesn't look like much but there is a lot you don't see in order to make it level.
It was a great event and a great day. Free lunch too! After that, I spent the rest of my day just lounging around the house watching football and enjoying a fire with the snow coming down outside.
Sunday I awoke to a great sunrise and a winter scene out my door. I prepped for my run down at Red Rocks and hit the road. Red Rocks is about 55 miles from my house but as most of you can imagine, just unbelievable. Here is the starting line
So the race we great...I have been running a boatload up here and finally can run at altitude. While Red Rocks is about 3000' lower than me it still is at elevation. I did the first 2 miles in around 17:30 and then came upon the final mile. I wish I would have taken a picture. For anyone who has been here you know what I am talking about...it was straight up hill with the final .15 mile running up the steps at Red Rocks. Literally the last step is the 3.1 mile mark. My legs were burning...it took me almost another 17 minutes to do the last 1.1 mile. However, I finished right around 35 minutes and was pretty happy with myself.
I didn't stick around (too crowded) and drove back home, making sure to go over Loveland Pass....ski season is almost here!!!! It was a great drive and I spent the rest of Sunday watching football and letting my legs recover. Had a great time this weekend giving a bit back! Until the next post!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment