I have made it through my first week and am just amazed by this place. In all honesty, I have not had really any alone time so far here. This week, Uncle John was fly fishing on the Blue River and stayed right in Frisco, CO. Frisco is just on the other side of the dam about a 15 minute drive from where I live so it was really easy for a quick visit.
Work is going great! I had an unbelievable May and was a bit slowed down by the move but getting back into my normal routine again. I have developed a love for waking up early. Houdini and I go for a nice walk and then I get started. When the day is warmest we do another walk and then when my day is over I'll get a run in. I have not perfected the schedule yet...sometimes the run is in the morning but regardless I'm probably getting anywhere from 5 - 7 miles a day in either hikes, runs or a combination of both.
Last week I met Uncle John for dinner Monday night. We went to a local brewery in Frisco and I had a chance to see Ron again and met Guy for the first time. We had a really nice dinner and upon my return home if you read Houdini's blog entry you will recall that I discovered my doors were tied shut by a hair ribbon. Apparently the locks on my doors are a bit sensitive and I had not quite perfected them so they did blow open. Luckily, my neighbor whom I met the following morning, was able to bring Houdini right back in and tie the door shut so it wouldn't blow open again.
My neighbors are great...I have met 4-5 of them and the couple next door and I have started a really nice relationship. Their names are Patty and Kurt. Both are retired off wall street and bought their place 6 years ago and settled here permanently 2 years ago. They invited Houdini and I over for dinner Tuesday night. They just love Houdini and Kurt has been playing Mayor of Keystone for me. He has taken me around town and introduced me to a ton of the locals. He also has shown me some great hiking trails and will soon be doing some biking with me. Kurt is currently recovering from an injury sustained this past March skiing the North Bowl at Keystone Mountain.
I have joined a softball league and had my first game Thursday evening. Ironically enough, when I arrived at the field, the first person I see has an Atlanta Braves hat on exactly like mine. We started talking and turns out he is from Gainesville, GA and attend UGA. Wish I could remember his name. I had an ok game...at least was invited back to play again so leave it at that.
Friday night, Uncle John came over to see the place. Here is a picture of all of us standing on my porch
Kurt and I were having a beer on the porch so he was able to snap the pic for us and we all went to Red Mountain Grill for dinner. Great meal, good conversation and afterwards, Uncle John and crew went home and Kurt and I hit a local Mexican place for another beer. He introduced me to a few more people and we enjoyed a few more cervezas. This is the same place Barry and I went to. It is a great locals bar and I have a feeling for those of you reading this who visit, you will be going there too!
Saturday was a great day all around. I began my day bright and early by driving to a garage sale in Breckenridge I had read about in The Summit Daily. First let me tell you about the Summit Daily...it is the local paper, it is free, it is in these little blue newspaper boxes around town and it is the epitome of reading in Summit County. Anyway, I was hoping to find a used bike or skiies or something I might need. Since I didn't find anything I shot back over towards Frisco to see if I could meet Uncle John for breakfast but he was already out the door fishing. A fortunate event for me, I then headed back to Keystone and discovered the Arapahoe Cafe...great breakfast place and a happening spot in downtown Dillon. I'm sure you who visit will get to eat there also! I then tinkered around the house and made my way back to Breckenridge for the Film Festival. I watched a film called the singularity...a movie about the point when technology eclipses human knowledge. After that, I was introduced to a new friend Stace. Stace is friends with Jackie and Tara and girls from back home. Stace gave me one of the warmest welcomes you have ever seen (free beer!!!). She gave me a tour of her restaurant called The Warming Hut on Main St in Breckendridge and then joined me on her patio for a beer and some conversation. Here is the view from her porch of Breck
So what you are looking at here is the bill from the Film Festival along with a few beers and Breckenridge Ski Resort in the background. The main peak that looks the tallest in the middle is Peak 7 and boasts the highest lift. I will not be visiting that one for a while:)
Anyway, after a great meal at Stace's I went back for my volunteer shift at the festival. Once that was over the night was done and finished up at home watching the Heat beat up on the Celtics.
Sunday was a great hike with Houdini right through my front yard...here is a nice view from the bridge up the Snake River.
Once that was over, Kurt decided to show me one of the coolest spots in Dillon, The Tiki Bar. Ok, so this is a dive bar that is only open June - August and is open from Noon until Sunset. It is right at the Lake Dillon Marina and is THE spot to be on a nice weekend day. The view is amazing...you get peaks 1 - 3 along with all the boats and people...great spot. Here's a final pic and y'all get to meet Kurt too (I hope he is ok with me publishing this!!!)
OK...it is now Sunday night and my update is all done. For those who are reading...I hope to show you in person soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment