Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Final Thoughts on Living Out West...

Well it is my last night at my place in Keystone, CO.  To paint the appropriate picture, it has snowed almost 3 feet over the past ten days and the resorts had so much snow they re-opened after closing.  As much as I want to get out there and make a few final turns, I have so much to do with moving and I also feel I got my fill of skiing this year.  To throw a few stats out at you, I skiied approximately 82 days this year and close to 850,000 vertical feet.

The goal of this trip was to do something I have always wanted...go live out west in a ski town.  Why did I want this???  I am not sure...I have had a passion for skiing since I was ten years old and went on my first ski trip.  I received my first pair of skis (K2 Extremes, Raichle Boots, Marker Bindings) when I was 14 thanks to parents who saw my love and passion for the sport and encouraged me.  I knew I was a decent skier but I really wanted to become an excellent skier.  Well maybe that is the reason I moved out here.  Ok, reason 1...to become an excellent skier.  Now reflecting on that statement, did I achieve my goal...I would say yes.   I still have a long ways to go, but I am happy with where my skiing ability is now.

So besides skiing, why else did I move out here.  I love the outdoors...there is amazing camping and hiking out here along with so many other sports.  I cannot tell you how many miles I biked or how many trails I hiked...I do know that I climbed 5 14ers this summer.  I hiked most trails I could find in Summit county.  I biked Swan Mountain Road countless times and took the 26 miles tour around Lake Dillon at least twice a week.  I camped out in Aspen and around Summit County.  Ok...did I achieve my goal of loving the outdoors and camping/hiking...definitely did this one.

Why else did I move out here...while I moved around when I was young, since high school I have never lived outside of Georgia.  Perhaps it was a need to spread my wings a bit.  One year in Summit County, CO definitely is not Georgia:)

Hmmmm....is there something else...I can tell you the unintended goal of this trip, but I think the one that had the biggest impact on me is really and truly learning who I am.  You would be amazed at how much time you have to reflect when you live in a town with 3000 permanent residents.  When you wake up in the morning and dont have anyone to call to go hike with, or camp, or see a movie, or get lunch.  While I met some lifetime friends out here, it is not the same.  I did so many activities by myself and you know what...i loved every minute of it.  I loved sitting at the top of a mountain, looking out over Colorado and enjoying lunch.  I loved getting back in the trees at Vail or Keystone or Copper and feeling like I have the whole mountain to me.  I loved taking walks with my best friend houdini and being amazed at every view.  I learned through this reflection that while I love the mountains, I am a southern boy.  I will never forget this year and will always come back, but my home is Georgia.  I also learned how amazing my friends and family are.  While I did have lots of time alone out here, I also had times when my place was a revolving door of guests.  I have so much love for everyone who came to see me.  I hope I had a chance to show y'all the things I love about Colorado and you caught just a little of the bug out here (I know Kevin Clarke is a lifetime member of the ski bum club now!!!).  Anyway, it was just an amazing experience and one I needed to go on.  I will miss Keystone, but I look forward to applying everything I learned out here to my next steps in life back home in Atlanta.

I put together this cheesy little slideshow to wrap up the year.  Warning about 8 mins but enjoy if you decide to watch!!!

Thank you and much love to all my friends and family that supported me along this journey!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888qh5cip_E&feature=youtu.be


1 comment:

  1. I got a little teary eyed watching this!! What a great year and so so so glad we lived semi close so we could see you a tad more often (better than Hawaii!). So glad you had this experience...many people are not as lucky. Ava said she should get props for being the littlest person on the mountain :)

    ReplyDelete