Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Guess who's back...

So it has been over a month since I have updated the blog.  Lots has happened and then not much either.  First, in the past month I turned a year older, had more visitors, skied over 150,000 vertical feet, have spent 30+ days on the mountain, flew over 20K miles, been in 10 states and have a dog who almost forgot who I was in favor of the dog sitter...

BUT!!! Moving on, things are back to normal a bit now.  So lets get things updated.  First, I turned 35 on November 9th.  I am now officially closer to 40 than to 30.  Turning 35 was not that big of a deal for me...I wish I could have gotten a discount on car insurance like I did at 25 but oh well.  Breckenridge opened their white ribbon of death that weekend so I went over there to celebrate my birthday with some new terrain for the season.  A few runs...a few pints at the T-Bar...a few runs and then back home.  Also opening on my birthday was the new James Bond movie Skyfall.  I really appreciate Breckenridge and MGM coordinating these two events in honor of my birthday...really nice of them.  So I went to see Skyfall and on my way home picked up a large pizza from Jersey Boys.  Back at the case, I threw a piece in Houdini's bowl and proceeded to eat the rest...glutton.



The following weekend Jevans and Dan returned for second trip...this time for some skiing.  Now while it was still early in the season and not much was open we did make the most of it.  First, Jevans was introduced to the latest love of her life Luka...seriously...she's sitting on the floor of this dive bar and could not stop playing with this dog.


The bar we were at is called GOAT and the tag line is SOUP AND WHISKEY.  Ironically Jevans tried to order a shot and asked the bartender what they recommend...he said "here we only serve whiskey" and poured a Jameson.  So next day could have done without that shot, but we trudged it up to Keystone for first chair.  Speaking of...I just got a shirt by a company called Special Blend that says First Chair Last Call...yup perfect for me.

So at the top of Keystone, Jevans was amazed again and we took advantage of Keystone's Epic Photographers for a pic...look like a couple of pros (who did not party their faces off).


So we hit Keystone for the day and enjoyed some nice groomers...check out Jevans form nice heal side...oh yeah totally photo bombed by the rider behind her.


Sunday was riding at A-Basin...Jevans did much better today thanks to a good nights rest (hmmm Jevs...what was it...13 hours of sleep:).  A-Basin is my favorite mountain...the terrain is great and advanced, the bar is a total throw back and it is never crowded.  After A-Basin it was back to the goat.  While at the goat the brain child of Dan, Jevs and myself started our own version of Apples to Apples.  I would go into details but seriously folks we may have a million dollar deal here so you'll have to wait.  However, we did enjoy a few drinks and a friend of ours Carlie met us there.  Oh yeah...it was Lionel Richie Sunday...Oh what a feeeeeeeelin....were dancing on the ceiling.


Monday was back to work and back to Keystone.  Dan hit it hard that day for probably 20,000 vertical.  I had a ton of work to do so had a few runs then back home.  The rest of the week pretty much went that way although we did throw the challenge down.  5 mountains in 4 days.  So let's count em folks...Dan and I hit Keystone Monday, A-Basin Tuesday, Vail and Beaver Creek Wednesday and finally spent Thanksgiving Day at Breckenridge.  Whew!  But impressive I must say...we tore up the mountains for those days.  Now Dan and I are not ones to take photos or even gloat, but not a bad view for us on Thanksgiving Day:)


We also finished Thanksgiving at Stacey's restaurant in Breck The Warming Hut.  She shut it down and invited 50 friends and family for dinner and it was amazing.  Duck, friend turkey, every side you can imagine and great company.  I gotta say, Dan and I may make a tradition out of this every year...assuming we are invited back.  Thank you Stacey and Money soooooo much for having us!  And to all reading...if you are ever in Breck go to The Warming Hut!!!

Now the sun is setting and we are leaving Breck for the trip back home to relax and get ready for our 7:45 am flight back the next morning.  As we are coming over swan mountain road we notice lights...folks I felt like I was in that scene in Field of Dreams when Kevin Costner is driving James Earl Jones back to the farm to show him the baseball field and they point off into the night sky and you can see the baseball lights.  I then realized...Thanksgiving marked opening of night skiing at Keystone.  Since we were a few Thanksgiving glasses of wine into it, I proposed the question of some night skiing.  Dan took about 2 seconds and said he was in.  So quick trip home, feed the dog, load up our gear, grab my second set of sticks and boots for Dan and off to Keystone.

If you have ever taken a gondola at night the view is awesome...white powder lighting up the way and in the distance are the lights for the trails.  Keystone does a great job of keeping the natural light of the evening.  It was awesome.  IF you couldn't tell by this pic I was stoked for my first night skiing of the year.


One quick run (a bit icy) and then we were done.  Back to the house and prep work for our 4:00 am wake up call to get to the airport (which by the way we both were upgraded to first class so a morning mimosa was in order).

Next post...let's breakdown why I'm sick and tired of Alabama along with the foot and a half of snow that is currently falling.

Miss everyone!

1 comment: