For starters, I had a work lunch in Denver and left a clean house and instructions for them on the counter...wish I could have been there to welcome you but I know y'all were going to be just fine! Shan had asked for a close quick hike and I guided them to the standard Loveland Pass West Ridge Trail, by the time they finished I had gotten back to Denver and we were ready for the tradition of Friday happy hour at the top of Keystone. The weather was amazing and it was the final weekend of the Friday happy hour at Summit House until ski season opens up (November 2!!!!!). It was a bit cold but all my neighbors were there and we had a great time...there were some great pics of Lake Dillon with the cloud cover. Rob (assistant manager at the Summit House and now someone who has provided me a free beer there) offered to open up the Crow's Nest so I could show them the views. Take a look...
We hit the local Mexican Restaurant Dos Locos for supper and a few drinks. Then firepit back at the house and of course a few more beers. Shan and I discussed hiking Mt. Sniktau so we called it an early night (at midnight:) and prepared for a busy Saturday.
With our wake up call at 6:00, Shan and I got ready for our climb. Sniktau goes up to 13,300' and honestly after the day before we both were feeling a little rough. Luckily we fought through. On the way up, we were greeted with some amazing morning views. Here's a panorama along the way and Shan crossing the 13,000' barrier.
Now more important than ANYTHING ELSE ON THE WEEKEND Georgia opened up the season against the Buffalo Bulls. I cannot tell you how cool it was to climb a mountain before the 10:00 am kick off for the dawgs. In hindsight, I wish I had a Georgia flag I could have gotten a picture with at the top of the mountain for opening day but hindsight is always 20/20.
Shan and I made our way over to Haywood Cafe (only local place with ESPN Gameplan and watched the first half of a dreadful Georgia game. I'm not even getting into it. But we had out beers, enjoyed the first half and then had to run home for preparations. The whole team was heading to Aspen for Jazzfest!
We left Keystone on a trip over Independence Pass to Aspen. First off, I was not in the car with the Heltons but apparently there were a few white knuckle moments and Kenzie thought Shan was going to drive them off the mountain. I smiled a bit when they told me the story...not a smile of satisfaction but a smile of yup you're not the first to have that reaction. The Independence Pass drive can have a few hairy moments. But success and we got a few pics at the top then made our way down into Aspen. This was my first trip there and all I could think of was the movie Aspen Extreme...so I texted Ason, "You're the best skier on the mountain" to which he replied "Skiing's the easy part Karl" Go see this terrible movie and you'll get it.
So we cruised around town. Shan and I hit a bar for some food and beers and more college football with Laurie joining us relatively quickly. Kenzie and Dillon checked out Aspen before being creeped out by an old guy in a head shop down main street. At this point, we separated and I met up with an old high school friend from back home. We regrouped at Jazzfest and had a blast. What a great time and great show. It was held at the base of Snowmass and was set up perfect (as it should for Aspen). Lots of beer tents and bathrooms with no lines!!!
When it was done, the Helton's left for back home and I stayed in Aspen for the night to visit with some friends.
On Sunday, Shan and Laurie took everyone mountain biking at Breckendridge and off roading on Peak 9. Check out the Helton's rocking some sweet helmets!
I left Aspen and made it back around 5 and the Helton's were home shortly there after. Apparently Shan got a warning for speeding on Swan Mountain Rd on the way back. HA! But no damage done, I was starving and took Dillon and Shan with me to Kickapoo for beers and food and also a ride up to the highest incorporated town in America, Montezuma. The laugh ultimately was on me when I got pulled over for speeding but I got a warning too! HA!
After that, there was a fire going and everyone came down to drink and enjoy the night. With an early flight the next day, Shan and Laurie retired for the evening as did Dillon and Kenzie. 6:00 am comes mighty early!!!
Thank you to the Helton family for coming to visit and I really enjoyed the entire weekend! See you football season!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment